Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bright Lights, Busy Days, Time with a Good Friend







New York City is one of the largest, busiest, most diverse and well-known cities in the world. I had never had any desire to go to NYC. But, almost a year ago now, a good friend said he would be interested in going there for New Year's eve! Not being one for humongous crowds or big parties in general, this would not have been my first choice, but stepping outside my comfort level is something I have vowed to try and do more often of late. I was pleasantly surprised and had a great time at New Year's, but what I really was looking forward to was to visit the city during a warmer season when I had a little more time to really see and experience the city. The same friend was able to spend the Labor day weekend with me seeing a different side of one of the coolest cities in the world.
There is something exciting about heading out for the day in a new city, with some ideas, but no concrete plans. The day unfolds with no time constraints.
I for one rarely ever walk in the city I live in. I always seem too busy to take the time to, but it is amazing how much more we see when we travel on foot. But, travelling by foot in New York allows you to really experience the varied neighborhoods, the cultures and the "streetlife" that IS NYC. I was lucky enough to pack in so much in the 2 days we had there that I feel I really know New York.
Walking through Little Italy with all its outdoor, candlelit dining and the Italian xx being served from freezers right on the streets. Chinatown's bustle and the smells of the fish markets really made you think you were in a major Chinese centre. Soho, Greenwich Village, the Financial district, Broadway, Times Square, the Ground Zero site and the South Street docks all had slightly different atmospheres.


No comments: