Sunday, October 26, 2008

On Birthdays as We Get Older . . .


Another year - it doesn't FEEL any different, I don't LOOK any different, - that extra year- does it make a difference?
Of course I have learned a fair bit in the last year- and have accomplished some stuff- cool. But really, "what am I celebrating" and maybe just as importantly, "HOW am I celebrating"?
I've been thinking of this quite a bit lately as my best friend is turning 20 very soon. Twenty!! It seems like ages ago- and yet as we age, years DO go by faster and faster. Although I think it is important to celebrate birthdays once a year- I think it is MORE IMPORTANT to really celebrate ALL of the important moments in your life!
IF for instance you have a good job and you're making some good money- be thanksful and celebrate. IF you have been able to travel a little then celebrate- especially when travelling. IF you have challenged yourself to do things you had never imagined and you excelled [like doing a very demanding Navy Seals training camp] then you deserve to celebrate. A celebration on your Birthday may not mark anything specific other than your birth- which of course is noteworthy- but it should be the time to CELEBRATE YOUR YEAR!
So, if you have a birthday coming up soon- Enjoy your day- count your blessings and Celebrate it the way you want to. Hopefully you can spend some time with the people who mean the most to you.

No comments: